Thursday, June 19, 2008

Backup

Backing up your photos is one of the most important things you will ever do as a photographer. Whether you are a full-time professional or you are a grandmother who only takes pictures every few months, anyone could be a victim of a crashed hard drive and lose everything! A couple of weeks ago, Scott Kelby talked about his backup procedure on his blog so today I will share mine with you.

I upload my pictures to the desktop of my hard drive with my SanDisk FireWire Card Reader. Before I do anything else, I then move that folder(s) to a portable external hard drive. I use the OWC Mercury On-The-Go FireWire drives (they are the most reliable in the business). I back up that On-The-Go drive to a bigger, desktop, external hard drive. Finally, when I am finished with a client, I put their entire session onto a DVD. That's right! I have 3 backups for all of my pictures. Call me paranoid if you want, but the first time you lose all of your pictures, you'll be emailing me asking, "what's the name of that external hard drive you use?"

No comments:

Post a Comment