Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Motion Assignment

I hope you enjoyed getting out and shooting this week's assignment. Our job was to photograph a moving object and keep it in focus by panning the camera and by doing so, putting everything else (even stationary items) in a blur. It definitely takes some practice to nail this technique, and I really want to see some of your shots. Here's the keeper of my bunch:

motionssignment_1

Not a very cool car I guess, but I got the side in sharp focus and the racing stripe made the picture for me.

So... this next week we are going to do the exact opposite. This time we want the stationary items in focus and the moving objects to be blurred. You'll need a tripod for this assignment. The way you do this, is to use a very slow shutter speed while your camera is on the tripod. Your focus needs to be on something that is stationary. This works very well at night when the blur from the car lights gets stretched out like neon. Very cool! See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment