Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Traveling Light

Next week we will be going home for Wes and Amy's wedding. We'll get to spend time with lots of family and friends and I will definitely want to take some pictures while I am there. So the question comes... what gear do I take? Obviously when traveling with two kids, you have to travel as light as possible to allow for all the diapers, car seats, toys, food, bottles, etc. Anything you want to bring is much lower on the priority list.

I could just take the Canon G9 like I did in Canada, but it won't give me the low-light performance I will need inside homes, restaurants, etc. where we will be much of the time. I do have the Tenba Sling Bag which is easy to carry, light weight, and will fit enough gear for a short trip like this (which is why I bought it). So I will be taking my D3 and two lenses: the 18-200 VR and the 50mm f/1.4. You already know that I love the 18-200 VR for almost everything because it covers such a wide focal range and with the VR, I gain a couple of stops that I can shoot handheld. However, I will still need the ability to shoot in very dark restaurants and such, so I will throw in the 50mm f/1.4 (it fits in my pocket so it won't take up any room) and probably will shoot with it most of the weekend.

You know what? I think I will also throw in one SB800 just in case I'm feeling flashy! So there's a quick rundown of an easy way to travel light yet have everything you need to be able to get great pictures. Of course, I'll have an extra battery and flash cards for the camera. Don't ever forget those!

trvelinglight_1

trvelinglight_2

trvelinglight_3

trvelinglight_4

trvelinglight_5

No comments:

Post a Comment