Monday, August 4, 2008

DIY Beauty Dish

A Beauty Dish is a light shaping tool that is used in portrait photography and usually you can spend more than $300 to buy one. Many people in the Strobist community have come up with ways to make their own for much cheaper. I built one for just under $30 and it turned out pretty good. If you are interested, here is the thread to the one I followed to build mine:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157604541039854/?search=diy+beauty+dish

This weekend I wanted to try mine out so I set up a little studio in the garage and Ainsley modeled for me for almost three minutes. I used the DIY Beauty Dish above her and camera left and a bare SB800 behind her to camera right for the rim light. Here are the four I kept:

diybeutydish_1

diybeutydish_2

diybeutydish_3

diybeutydish_4

No comments:

Post a Comment