Friday, May 16, 2008

Smaller Apertures for Macro

When using a Macro lens to shoot subjects up-close, choose a much smaller aperture. Macro lenses have a very shallow depth of field and if you choose to shoot "wide open" at an aperture of say f/2.8 or even f/4, it will be hard to get your entire subject in focus.

For example, this shot of the leaf was captured with my 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. I chose an aperture of f/3.5. Have a look:

smllerperturesformcro_1

The right leaf is very sharp but the left leaf (which is almost on the same plane as the right) is completely blurred. This shot would have been so much better if both leafs were entirely in focus and only the tree was blurred out. But because I chose such a big aperture (smaller F number), I could not get my subject completely in focus.

Now for the second example. I shot this pear with the same camera and same lens, but I chose f/40. The smallest aperture my lens will allow. Of course, because of the smaller aperture, I needed a much longer shutter speed so I was using a tripod. If you ever watch a very good macro photographer, I will bet you that he/she is using a tripod. Because they know that they will be shooting with a smaller aperture. Here's the picture:

smllerperturesformcro_2

It's a better looking picture anyway because I was inside and controlling the light with two strobes that were shooting through diffusers. However, the point here is that the entire pear is in focus. You can clearly see the subject from top to bottom and from left to right. Much better!

So when you are practicing with your macro lens, remember to choose a smaller aperture!

No comments:

Post a Comment