Monday, October 13, 2008

Quick Family Picture

My parents were in town this past weekend and wanted to get a family portrait on Sunday after church (since we all looked so good, ya know). It was hot, but I agreed to set up a couple of lights and a backdrop in the garage.

For those of you who are intimidated by off-camera lighting, it's really not that hard... or scary. I set up one SB800 high and camera right shooting through a Lastolite Tri-Grip Diffuser. That light was set to TTL (through the lens metering) with the exposure compensation set to +1.0. I set another SB800 high and camera left but further back than the light on the right. It also was shooting through a Tri-Grip. I set it to TTL and adjusted the exposure compensation to -1.0.

With the further distance and less power, the left light becomes my fill light.

I set the camera in manual mode, 5.6 and 1/60th. White Balance to "Flash" since I was using.... wait for it, wait for it.... flash. I took one practice shot and I nailed it. Why? Because it really is THAT easy.

quickfmilypicture_1

No comments:

Post a Comment